Thursday, January 28, 2010

Creating Personal Freedom

It is literally true that you can succeed best and quickest by helping others to succeed.
-Napoleon Hill

I have thinking a lot about freedom lately. Our sixteen year old son just got his first car. He is excited about the prospect of going to the grocery store, driving himself to school, or just hanging out with friends. He is ready for his freedom.
I too have always desired freedom, its probably the main reason I have always sought after self employment, however coupled with my personal need for freedom I have also placed a high value on my education. A blog comment ask me "what would one do with a Ph.D. in Human Communications?" At first I was a little taken aback but it created an opportunity for me to rethink about freedom and why I made the decision to go back to school in the first place. In high student I wasn't a great student, in fact, I was bad student. As I began to understand the world around me, I knew I had no desire for a 9 to 9 corporate ladder career, I had bigger ideas, I wanted to own a business! Result: I have spent the past twenty years showing myself and the world that it could be done, I could create a life of personal freedom with a educated business mind. So now there are two questions that could be answered:
1. Why Quacker Gift Shop as a business? Will ask on another blog.
2. Why Human Communications? I'm going to answer this question in a non-academic fashion. Communication is power, how we communicate, with whom we communicate leads us in directions unknown at the present time. In nut a shell, effective communications is essential for a successful business practice, which in turn leads to life long opportunities, freedom to build a life on ones own terms. Not only are my studies valuable to me and my business, I truly what to help others build their business dreams and a future filled with personal freedoms (in a future blog I will share more about our (Steve and I) bed and breakfast retirement plans). Don't worry...we have lots of years and planning to go!

No comments: