Monday, January 25, 2010

Monday Morning Notes



As I mentioned earlier this month, I am still a student, I am a Ph.D. candidate in the department of Human Communications (Ethics and Rhetoric) at the University of Denver. The balance between my studies and running Quacker Gift Shop can be overwhelming at times, other times I have to reflect on my long term goals as to why I took on graduate school while building a wholesale, retail and online business. In fact, some days I feel like I am upside down and left to wonder how I am going to get right side up. Last week , Dr. Phillip Tompkins was a guest lecturer in my class on Organizational Communication, he talked about the importance of “Monday Notes” and the impact this organizational method had on the NASA program in the 1960’s. As a student of Dr. von Braun, Dr. Tompkins shared how two questions ( What were your problems last week and what was your progress last week) shaped effective communication and management at NASA. Well…I thought, if it’s good enough for NASA, it’s good enough for Quacker Gift Shop!

One of my new year’s goals was to have Steve and I sit down every Monday morning, reflect on the week past and plan for the coming week. We wrote pages of notes, it become overwhelming and unproductive, I was ready to quit after the second week. Today we implemented the Dr. van Braun's and NASA's way of Monday notes.

1. What were problems?

2. What was your progress?

It was a success! We were able to focus and hopefully avoid future landmines (that cost us money) as well as highlight our areas of productivity that increase revenue.

This was a great way to start my week right side up!

Thanks L J the cat for showing off upside down face, your the best.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What does one do with a Ph.D. in Communications?

Jennifer said...

I'm hoping I answered your question,
Please read my blog from 1/28. Thanks! Jenn

Dr. Tompkins said...

You describe me as a student of Dr. von Braun, and it is
true that I learned a great deal from him but my formal role was as a Summer
Faculty Consultant. NASA hired a lot of people--almost all of whom were
scientists and engineers--and I was the first "soft scientist" hired. I did
communication research for Dr. von Braun, discovering problems and making
recommendations. It was the most powerful communication practice I have ever
found and it helped us land on the Moon and safely return to Earth. If any
of the readers of your blog would like to learn more about the practice,
find a copy of my book in a library or buy a copy of it: Phillip K.
Tompkins, APOLLO, CHALLENGER, COLUMBIA. It was published in 2005 by the
Roxbury Publishing Company, which was recently bought by the Oxford
University Press. This is my first time on a blog about duckies. --Phil